No matter how you look at it, moving is one of the most daunting tasks you will tackle. There’s no way around it, there will be a little sweat equity invested and, quite possibly, a little blood and tears. But it’s not all bad news! If you’re looking at a move in the near future, there are some things you can start doing now in preparation. With a little pre-planning, you can be well on your way to a well-organized moving experience! Here are 10 things to do before you begin the packing:
1. Purge! This is the most important step in getting ready to pack up the contents of your entire home. One thing is for certain, you do not want to waste time packing, moving, and unpacking items that you no longer want or need. So, get rid of these items now, rather than later.
2. Utilize the 4 Box Method! The 4 Box Method is used by many professional home organizers. You get four boxes labeled “keep,” “store,” “donate/sell,” and “trash.” This is the easiest way to go through each room purging before you pack.
3. Have your storage bins and labels ready! While purging using the 4 Box Method, you may as well go ahead and store and label the items that you decide to put in storage. Having these items packed and set aside will help save you time when it comes to packing up your home.
4. Organize the stuff you keep! Everything that you decide to keep for packing at a later time should be organized in its place. This will make packing day or week much more organized.
5. Have a moving sale! Get rid of the items you decide to sell and make a little extra cash in the process.
6. Take all leftovers from the moving sale to a donation site! Directly after the moving sale, immediately take all leftover items to the donation site of your choice.
7. Begin collecting boxes and supplies! There are quite a few ways to get boxes, and you’ll probably need to utilize each one. Buy, borrow, and beg! You can buy boxes at superstores and from moving companies. You can borrow boxes from friends and family, and you can beg from local retail stores! You’ll also need plenty of paper for wrapping breakables, so start saving newspapers, magazines, and plastic/paper bags.
8. Make detailed plan for packing up the house! It always helps to have a plan. At the very least, you should make a list and get ready to go room-by-room when it comes time to start packing.
9. Create a special place for essentials! Designate one cabinet, closet or drawer to keep important items that you will need throughout your move. Some items you may want to put aside are medications, important documents, pet items, etc.
10. Clean the house! Cleaning the house well before you start packing will help keep you organized and motivated. When the house is clean before boxes are piled in each room, it will be easier to clean when everything is moved out.
Planning a move? We are here to help you with your real estate needs! Contact us here at the Scherer Team today. Call 888-300-4431 to schedule your complimentary consultation!